- (207) 847-9210
- Call us. We can help. Guaranteed.
A 90 Day Plan
Are you satisfied with your business results this quarter? What are you going to do differently next quarter? You’ve heard the saying: “Most businesses don’t plan to fail; they just fail to plan.” Well, it’s true. A winning sports team would never take the field or enter the arena without a game plan in place. Likewise, a business that runs onto its own playing field without a business plan operates at a significant competitive disadvantage, especially compared to rivals that do.
A lot happens in a day. A lot more happens in 90 days. That’s why the 90-day business plan is one of the most important tools for business owners. Knowing precisely where you want business to be in 90-days time is a powerful motivating force. In reality, most business owners only have a vague idea of where ther is, let alone where they want it to be. But by taking the time to put a plan in writing, you will know which direction to orient your efforts. This sense of focus and clarity makes it easier to make decisions and allows you to arrive at the intended destination.
The key to good planning is to just do it! Here are four quick and easy steps to get you started.
1. Your present vs. target position: Realistically assess where you are today and where you want to be. What are your unique strengths and weaknesses? How will they help you define your vision, mission and strategy? You mi9ght have onek, three and five year goald, but focus on one 90-day plan at a time that leads you toward your goals incrementally. This will be easier to visualize and start on.
2. Strategy: What resources (time, team and money) do you need to get your desired results? What will you need to do differently? Define your goals. The key to a successful strategy is to set S.M.A.R.T. goals and objectives. SMART goals are Specific, Mearsurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time-oriented.
3. Tactics: What are the specific tasks that must be executed in order to support your strategy? What is the most cost effective and quickest way to get your desired result? Remember that you may need to be creative and flexible in realigning your resources. There are many different ways to get to any one result.
4. Feedback: This is a key element in the planning process. How are these strategies and tactics working for you? What is working and not working? Remember that you have SMART goals and objectives. You have to measure the results you get and compare the results to the objectives. Then take that learning and factor it into the next 90-day planning cycle.
Planning takes practice. The more you times you complete a 90-day plan, the better you will become at doing it. Attending Summit 9 90-Day Planning Workshop is a great way to get this task done quickly and completely. Check out the calendar at www.sumit9consulting.com to find out when the next workshop will be held.